Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Part of garter snake's eye appears clouded - 1 year old garter snake

Hey all! Brand new here so I apologize if I'm asking a silly question but my wild caught garter snake is an animal ambassador at a state park. He has seen a lot of people lately and I've noticed only one of his eyes seems clouded, but only on the top. It's not clouding in the sense I'm used to though. He seemed for a week like he might be approaching a shed, but then it seemed to just stop. He's grown about 5 inches in 3 months and I have yet to see him shed so I'm worried about him. I've had teaching snakes in the past but never one that I've experienced this problem with. We do not have an exotic animal vet close, so before I trek over the river and through the woods with him and stress him out I thought I'd ask you all! I tried to get a photo of his eye but he was of course uninterested so let me know if you need a better one! I uploaded 2 photos of the eye in question and his other eye just for comparison. Thank you in advance! I posted this question at iherp as well in case you see it twice! Have a great day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Part of garter snake's eye appears clouded - 1 year old garter snake

My guess it's the beginning of a shed cycle. The eyes look great. Eating? Pooping? Moving? Alert?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

The animal looks otherwise healthy from the head shots you provided. How long have you noticed it being there? The difference is very subtle. I would recommend keeping an eye on it and monitor it. Where did he originate from?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    The animal looks otherwise healthy from the head shots you provided. How long have you noticed it being there? The difference is very subtle. I would recommend keeping an eye on it and monitor it. Where did he originate from?
    Been there over a week. Most my snakes would cloud over and shed in a few days.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi Albert! He has had the cloud for about a week which is what concerned me. Most of my snakes shed within a couple days and would cloud equally on both eyes. I admit, this snake is a bit special so I over worry I'm sure! He was picked up in the parking lot of the park I work for. He was laying right in the path of visitors tires warming himself.

Hi, I'm New Here!

He was eating 2 pinkies a week for awhile but now only wants one and is satisfied. His head is quite small and even though his body could accommodate a fuzzy he can't fit it in his mouth. (Though he'd try if I let him!) He's pooping well and moving around but has taken to hiding lately. That's why I originally thought she'd but the cloud has been there for a week. He's more skittish than usual now but he can't see well so I understand why. He's still comfortable with people he knows. He'll happily sit in your hand if you're warm!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

He certainly can still be in a shed cycle. Especially since the appearance is fairly new. I would keep monitoring it.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks Albert! I'll keep an eye on him! This is the second garter I've owned but the first would hasn't shed quickly. I appreciate your help!