Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Delaying birth..?

Hello,

I just want to take the chance to make a short introduction about myself and to report a strange story about the litter of my Santa-Cruz-Garter Snake (T. atratus atratus) only two days ago.

So let’s begin.

I live in Berlin, Germany (that country in Europe wich organizes the Fifa WM 2006 – but I’m no football-fan in any way).
    Some years ago I started keeping Garter Snakes and until now I have about 40 beautiful Garter and Ribbon Snakes. My possibilities to keep my snakes are a little limited, because I can only keep them inside my flat. Some other people that I know are also having them in outside cages – this would be the next step if I ever won a lottery ;-).
    My favourite Garter Snakes are the Blacknecked Garter Snake (T. cyrtopsis), the Coast Garter Snake (T. elegans terrestris) and due to her beauty the Oregon Red-Spotted Garter Snakes (T. sirtalis concinnus) – but there is no one that I do not like (even though T. rufipunctatus as an example will never be a favourite of mine).

My little strange story about Lil’ Cruz (that’s the name of the Santa-Cruz Garter Snake I will write about):

It was 101 days ago that Lil’ Cruz was visited the first time by a pretty male of the same subspecies. The last days before I was very sure that she should get her litter every moment. On the 4th of July the waiting was over, because at that moment I came home she was giving birth to her first babysnake. I was very happy and I planned to stay in proximity to have a look how long it would take and so on.

But to my surprise she stopped giving birth after that one and only babysnake. The little snake was already shedding correctly for the first time and I waited and waited… So, I went away form the terrarium and hoped that she would resume giving birth undisturbed. Deep in the night I caught Lil’ Cruz from her terrarium and searched for new babysnakes or eggs. What I found was nothing new! I began to get a little nervous.

The next day I called my veterinary to ask him what to do. He told me that I shouldn’t wait longer than two days after starting of birth to get to him with the female. As I drove home I was very unsure what would expect me.

But Lil’ Cruz was having everything under control – 8 new babysnakes were crawling in her terrarium and you all can surely image how happy I felt. I caught the new babysnakes from the terrarium and now I’ve bin wondering everytime I take a look at them how big and burly they are from day one.

Does that sounds strange or could it happen not so seldom as I’d thought?

Best regards

Jan.

PS: Please don’t be so strict with my English, I’m still learning how to find the right words.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Delaying birth..?

Your English is excellent, and I have to admit I don't know if that's normal or not, but if she's okay, and the babies are okay, then I wouldn't worry too much. How about posting some pics of the babies?

Hello,

of course - she is doing fine!

I have attached a picture from the two of the little ones (the day they were born).

Best regards

Jan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I'm New Here!

They're cute. How big are they at birth? There's nothing to show size, comparatively speaking.

Glad they're all doing well.

Hello,

I was marvelling because og their size - they have 20 cm (some a little more). As I was getting my adult T. atratus atratus, they were very small and thin (maybe at most 15 cm).
    I forget to put an Eurocent next to them ;-)

Today I was feeding the babies for the first time - and 50% were very greedily, after two hours the small bowl with fish and sticks from rat was blank.

Best regards

Jan.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow! That's a pretty respectable size. How big is Mama Snake? Most of the snakes I see in my yard are pretty small.

Hello QuietLunatic,

Mama Snake is having a total lenght of 65 cm - not very large but beautiful ;-)
    Where are you coming from - is the Santa Cruz Garter Snake found in your area?

Edit: I saw it a moment later, you're from the Nova Scotia. I'm curious; did you saw the Northern Ribbon Snake (T. sauritus septentrionalis) in your area? When I think back correctly these species was new to the Nova Scotia...?

Best regards

Jan.
    Last edited by Boots; 07-12-2006 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Additional information

Just thought I would add some information for reference.

Northern Ribbon Snake
    http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/snakes/ribbon.htm

Maritime Garter Snake
    http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/snakes/garter.htm

Jason

Thank you very much Jason - both subspecies are quite unknown for European Garter Snake Fans.

Best regards

Jan.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm happy that everything worked out, as I was reading I didn't think the babies were going to be okay. And yes, they are big for newborns.