Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enclosure rack

Enclosure rack

What are your thoughts on these? 3 of these would give me 12 enclosures.

• Dimensions:S2-4_opt.jpg
      • 1,820mm high (71.65")
      • 800mm wide (31.50")
      • 400mm deep (15.75")

ATB, Rod

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Enclosure rack

Are you building the vivs to go on these? I'd check the dimensions against the vivs you plan to put on them as a lot of vivs are more than 400mm deep, and 800mm wide is less than 3' (which may be a problem if you plan to keep some of the longer species). But 400x800mm doesn't seem a normal viv size to me.
    Other than the dimensions, they look like good sturdy shelves. If they were 100mm deeper they'd be ideal for me to shelve our 60cm ExoTerras, I'll be looking for something like this when we move to a bigger house.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

It might be best to adjust the shelf to 3 enclosures. That top enclosure of 4 would be pretty high up.
    Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi! Chris, I plan to convert these into vivs, using the shelves as the base/roof for each enclosure and the actual frame to secure the sides. So each enclosure would be W 31.5" x D 15.75" x H 17.75" or there abouts. If you look at those on crazy reptiles this is the same idea.
    Hi! Steve, If I have done my calculations right then the base of the top viv will be at Chest height? So now you guys have the correct info Do you think that these woud be OK?
    ATB, Rod

looks like a fun project! do you already have the rack? if not, maybe look into one that's a little bigger. i have a couple that i purchased from lowes here in the u.s. that are 72"hx36"wx18"d (inside dimensions). i might convert them someday. keep us updated on this project and good luck!

also, what is crazy reptiles? my google powers are weak this morning
    mike

Rod - Do you plan an air gap between the layers? What heating do you plan to use? I'm pretty sure heatmats need some air circulation underneath. If you plan to fit heatlights into each viv, then that's probably not a concern. You would need to have them on separate stats though because the heat from the lower light will warm the floor of the viv above - probably not a bad thing.

Mike - Home - www.crazyreptiles.eu
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

BTW Rod, where are you getting the shelf from? It looks nice and sturdy.

I'm toying with the idea of doing something similar with one of the Ikea modular wardrobe units. I need somewhere to put it first though, so maybe later in the year.
    Chris

thanks chris! i see the photos of the shelving they've converted. looks nice! are you planning to do the same?
    mike

I was thinking about using this as the base unit:
    PAX Wardrobe frame - birch effect, 100x58x201 cm - IKEA
    pax-wardrobe-frame__43277_PE139000_S4.jpg

Then adding some shelves as the viv tops and bottoms.
    Maybe with an internal set of drawers to keep stuff in at the bottom (who wants to be bending down to a viv at floor level?
    komplement-interior-chest-of-drawers__0134759_PE291373_S4.JPG

I was thinking about 3 vivs in one of these wardrobe shells. Then, for the vivs we already have, I just need some shelves to sit the 4 ExoTerra vivs on. The other alternative is that the ExoTerras will fit on shelves in the wardrobe shell, so rather than building the vivs in, I just slot the Exos onto shelves (more expensive, but when you already have 3 60x45x45 Exos, and a 90x45x45 Exo...).
    Chris

Chris, I plan to use heat lamps to heat in conjunction with a uv light given the way I plan to construct them. Each enclosure will have plenty of back ventilation. Boltless Industrial Heavy Duty Shelving Garage Steel Rack...
    I hope that link works, if not they are on ebay.
    Mike, I haven't got any yet but one will make 4 enclosures, not to big, not to small and not to high and they will fit where i have space for them. 3 standing next to each other will look quite good. the beauty of it is you can work on one set at a time and add a set as you expand. The way work (none existant) and finances are atm it is the cheapest option for me.
    Have just found a better set 180x90x45 which should give 4 x 90x45x45 enclosuresHEAVY DUTY BOLTLESS 5 TIER SHELVING STORAGE 265KG UDL
    ATB, Rod