Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello! Thanks for having me - I'd love some recommendations on Garter species!

Hello everyone! Glad to be here... My name is Madison. I'm a sci-fi nerd, collect oddities, and I've been keeping reptiles for about 15 years now- and currently own Leachianus geckos, Crested geckos, Jeweled Lacertas, Western Hognoses, and bally pythons.

I'm really wanting to get a pair or trio of garters that can cohab in a display tank. Species that are okay with cooler temperatures are ideal, as I try not to get my apartment TOO hot because of my geckos, but if I need to keep the snakes in a separate room I can. A big thing is I LOOOOVE Blue on snakes. The more blue, the better. Bright red is a close second. I've been eyeballing the California Red Sided Garters, but I'm not sure the legality of keeping/breeding/selling them in California and if someone could help clarify that it'd be greatly appreciated as well... And lastly, I'm hoping for snakes that will make nice display animals and "hang out" and not just hide all day. Let me know what you're thoughts are! Thank you!

Re: Hello! Thanks for having me - I'd love some recommendations on Garter species!

Welcome.
    The California Red Sided Garter (Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis) is perfectly legal to keep in the states and I'm pretty certain it is the same in California. I could be wrong and if I am please someone correct me. However the San Francisco Garter, (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia) is illegal to keep in the states due to its status as an endangered subspecies. Both are pretty similar in appearance. There are other blue garters such as the Puget Sound and Florida Bluestripe but I'm not sure how easy it would be to acquire them.
    I know Plains Garters, (T. radix) will be a recommendation as well as Checkered Garters (T. marcianus) albeit they aren't blue. I've kept both and you have a far greater chance of ending up with a Garter that makes a nice display animal rather than one that hides. Mine only ever hide for prolonged times right after feeding or at night to sleep. I'm sure the more experienced folks will chime in.

Re: Hello! Thanks for having me - I'd love some recommendations on Garter species!

I've got a call into Ca fish and wild life. I'll let you know what they say as soon as I know.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Third shed In Progress"

All garters are good if you want animals that will be out and visible, however morphs like albinos may have reduced activity level due to the eyes sensitivity to light.

I'm not sure about the legality of California red-sided garters in Cali but seems like Steve is on it for you, Calis will hang out in the open as adults for sure but they aren't the best tempered garters, they can be a pain to tame down. There's also blue red-spotted(concinnus) or even the normal red-spotted version is nice, you can get flame or erythristic easterns(t.s.sirtalis) or Florida blue easterns, or Florida blue stripes(similis). Also red plains garter(radix) is another great option. There's other red and blue garters out there but they are hard to find, the ones I listed are all produced regularly with people having already had a few litters of them this year, not sure if they are all sold out though or not.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Hi Madisynn, welcome to the forum! Great to see you here. All of the information that i've recieved so far has revealed that its ok to keep the captive bred specimens of infernalis. Collection from the wild populations are frowned upon.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Hi Madisynn, welcome to the forum! Great to see you here. All of the information that i've recieved so far has revealed that its ok to keep the captive bred specimens of infernalis. Collection from the wild populations are frowned upon.

"Frowned upon" isn't a legal term, that shouldn't be used to determine legal or illegal possession.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for your recommendations and warm welcome everyone! I'll do some more research on the species recommended... I appreciate it!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    "Frowned upon" isn't a legal term, that shouldn't be used to determine legal or illegal possession.
    The language is a acceptable inference as it pertains to the scientists and taxonomists studies that show the dwindling natural habitat of infernalis. Though nowhere near the conservation status of t.s. tetratenia, or the federal legislation, still a quandry. Depending on which literature you peruse the conservation status of infernalis varies as well.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.