Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed" Mom2Four's Avatar

Black racer and her eggs..pics

So here she is, the way we found her hanging out of the wall. My hubby holding her, the gloves are because she struck several times, and he couldn't get a good hold without getting bit. We had no idea she was laying eggs, until we inspected her after removing her, and saw her cloaca was open, then we removed the rocks and found the 22 eggs. Unfortunately before I could save them the neighbors had squashed one, they intended to squash all of them, but I saved the other 21, all of which are now happily incubating on my porch.
    My family and friends are ready to have me committed but my children are beyond themselves with excitement. They ask every morning if the snakes have hatched yet. Going to be a LONG 2 months. From what I am reading they have about a 2month incubation period. Does this sound about right? Does anyone know for sure?

Re: Black racer and her eggs..pics

nice save...maybe you should tell the neighbors that you are gonna squish their young ones... 2 months is about right....

Wow, You have to keep us updated.
    Racers are so cool.
    Great save. Thanks for the effort.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed, A Success"

SUPER COOL, In maine those are under special concern. I hope to get out with MIFW for a trip this year to track them!! Cant wait!

"Preparing For First shed" Mom2Four's Avatar

I was reading that they were more endangered in the Northeast. Obviously she was not happy about being removed while laying eggs, but if she had hung out long she could have ended up headless. We have relocated 2 large black rat snakes from his property too. He is NOT a snake person. Very terrified.
    My hubby's degree is in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences and I majored in Biology, so we save what we can. This year we have rescued a blue bird, some baby mocking birds, a baby goat (my bottle baby), several snakes (even the one eating my eggs.. don't blame him, they are good eggs), and Lord only knows what else, (these all just since late March). Some critters we take to local rescues because we do not have the time or necessities to care for them, some we take care of ourselves.

Anyway, I tend to ramble. This forum has been a wealth of information, because before all our snake finds were just relocation endeavors.

I am so excited to learn more about these fascinating creatures and their habits.
    Gosh this waiting on the eggs to see if they hatch is going to kill me.. this is worse than my own four pregnancies. LOL

Have a bright and beautiful day

Good luck for the wee eggs
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"Third shed, A Success"

Cool, make sure to keep us updated on those eggs; I am trying to obtain a permit for native species not to easy to do up here

Are you using an incubator?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Generally our lovely north american colubrids don't need a super high incubation temperature, just keep them somewhere between 76 and 82 at all times, and humid as well, and they should do just fine! I don't use an incubator for my corn and king eggs because it's not necessary. I just stick the egg containers in one of the lighting compartments of my snakeroom. It stays perfect in there. I'm not sure I would keep them outside on your porch, the temps might drop a tad low there. Remember, when the mom snake layed them, she layed them in all that dirt and stuff that is insulated so that the eggs maintain a more constant temperature, so that if the temps drop a bit low at night they will survive it. If they are exposed and one night it gets a little chilly, they won't stand a chance. My black racer eggs last year hatched after 2 month and a few days (don't remember exactly), I incubated them the same way I incubate my kings and corns. I keep the eggs in a small tupperware container that is airtight on moist (but not wet!) paper toweling. I also have another moist paper towel covering the eggs. Just make sure it's not actually WET, because too much moisture will also kill the eggs. The eggs will tell you if it's too dry, within a few hours they will start to have small dents. As long as you quickly add humidity they will go right back up. it's a really good idea to take a non toxic marker or pencil and put a dot at the very top of each egg however it's laying so you know that they are always facing right side up. The eggs CANNOT be rolled over once they are layed, within 24 hours the embryo attatches itself to the inner mebrane of the egg towards the top, and if rolled over, since it's attatched it can't "float" back to the top and will be smothered by the yolk of the egg.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Excellent info, Shannon... as ever.
    James.