Thread: Garters OCD???

Garters OCD???

Okay, so I'm a creature of habit. I set my keys in the same spot everyday, the remote to the tv has to be on the coffee table, I could go on (no I'm not OCD). But when it comes to our friends do they care if we mix it up on them? I'll be setting up my garters home for the first time ever, and does that mean that the water dish, hide, etc always have to be set in the same spot every time I clean the setup? Is variety the spice of life or do I keep it the same? Is the cool side hot side always the same side or can that change? I know they are curious. They check out their surrondings so maybe switching it up on them gives them something new to explore or is a change every time to much stress? (Maybe not EVERY time, but when the mood strikes). Oh, and substrate, pick one and stick to it. Can that change? Thanks!

Re: Garters OCD???

We switch up the tanks every cleaning. We do it because they like to explore the new surroundings, and they do so for hours. It just makes it less "boring" for them.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Garters are highly adjustable and the kind of changes you're talking about usually aren't a big deal if you change them.
    I never change warm and cold hides just because my heat pads are static.
    My snakes are always interested in new items and have to give them the once-over when they arrive.
    I've found a substrate that works so until something else comes along that can do better I'll stay with it.

Keep in mind the individual snake. Some snakes are so easy going they don't seem to mind changes. Then there are the few who seem jumpy with change.
    It's all part of getting to know their personalities.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Yeah, most of my snakes enjoy exploring, but for the sake of my little half blind Runt, we don't change that tank around much. Just learn what your little snakie seems to like, and adjust your routine to that.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

We switch up our tank decor often. They seem to like the adventure.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Most of them like new things. Mine especially like things they can climb on, like driftwood or fake vines.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Yeah, most of my snakes enjoy exploring, but for the sake of my little half blind Runt, we don't change that tank around much. Just learn what your little snakie seems to like, and adjust your routine to that.
    Houdini used to like new things in his enclosure. Since he's gone blind, he panics the second you move something. He's fine with investigating new things while I'm handling him, but change inside his cage just sends him into panic mode.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis