Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" ScimitarX's Avatar

Angry I have a cannibal snake

Hello to both old and new members. Haven't posted in awhile but I'm always lurking and seeing what is going on

Normally at this time of year I would be happily reporting a new litter of babies. Sadly this is not the case this time.

I have a pair of chequered garters, around 7/8 years old now. Housed together throughout the year with no problems. Both eating and behaving as they normally do.
    Usually I will separate the male when i knew my girl was gravid and not far off giving birth, but this year although mating had took place, i was not so sure that was, seeing as she didn't seem any larger and as still eating with her usual appetite. usually the female goes off food a week or two prior to dropping.

On Tuesday i noticed a smell in my snakes enclosure, the kind of smell that means there's usually babies, but a thorough check of the cage and substrate revealed nothing. no babies, no slugs. So I left the snakes alone, figuring maybe it was just starting and it was best to leave them be.

The next day came and still no sign. So i put the snakes in a tub whilst I cleaned their enclosure. When this was done I went to put the snakes back, but on my return to their tub, it looked like one of them had pooped. upon inspection, i it was quite disgusting, a mix of poop and what looked like a rotten baby.

I remember seeing threads on here about people females sometimes giving birth to rotten babies for whatever the reason was at the time, I thought this was happening here, so my girl went back into the clean tank and i put the male in a separate tub for now my aim being to keep them separate for a few days to monitor the female for a repeat of what I'd just seen.
    But the few days came and went still no sign of anything from the female. Then i went to feed the male and he had pooped again, so I once again took a look, and there was clearly evidence of snake in there.

I am now pretty convinced that overnight while I was away that the female had a small litter of babies and that the male decided to eat them, especially since there has been nothing more from the female and it frustrates me that this could happen when theres has been no problems with them before. I think I will always make sure to remove the male now if there is any chance there are more babies again.

I have not kept them any differently then usually and both snakes are doing great and eating. The one and only thing to change was the male, he has been eating exceptionally well these last couple of months. Normally he could be a bit picky and/or shy often needing his food to be left in his hide where he would snap it up after a few minutes of being left to it. But lately he just grabs it straight away, eats it and begs for more so right now hes probably bigger and better looking than hes ever been before. whether this has contributed to his eating the babies I don't know but whats done is done for now.

Anyway, i'll end this here. Just wanted to report what was happening and go out and warn others about leaving males together when their females are about to pop
    Claire

"Third shed In Progress"

Re: I have a cannibal snake

I have heard of something like this happening before, babies right after birth may smell and look more appetizing due to the membrane perhaps?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I remember a thread from maybe last year where someone had an unrelated adult ribbon snake eat like half a litter of newborn garters...
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Subadult snake

What doesn't make sense is why they'd pass through the GI tract undigested. Weird.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joeysgreen View Post
    What doesn't make sense is why they'd pass through the GI tract undigested. Weird.

I dont think they can digest other snakes, hence why they usually regurgiate or die after eating a bigger snake.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joeysgreen View Post
    One of mine was a nearly ftt baby with neuro and digestive issues. The first few times he ate after I got him started on food he'd pass partially digested food. He eventually grew out of it, but I always assumed it was due to being unable to digest properly or it going through his system too quickly to be digested fully.

So pretty much what Jesse just said except I've had the lovely experience of smelling it for myself...
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

If it makes you feel better i've read somewhere they are actually more prone to eating stillborns than live babies because they have a different smell.
    Bluesirtalis

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    If it makes you feel better i've read somewhere they are actually more prone to eating stillborns than live babies because they have a different smell.
    I remember reading that a member on this site had a female get into a fight with another female over some stillborns. I think it was Infernalis?

Subadult snake

Normal, healthy snakes can digest other snakes*. Passing undigested food is certainly an indication of a digestive problem, as in Lora's experience. Perhaps this is a one time thing, maybe because of the amount eaten. I'd monitor for a trend however.

* I should clarify that there are likely many exceptions. A Dasypeltis species that eats exclusively eggs, might have a problem digesting a snake for instance.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up community as I have never experienced this ever!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.