Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Why isn't there a American Garter Snake Association?????

Hey all,
    I noticed in another post that someone had in their sig. line they were a member of the European Garter Snake Association. Ummm, why isn't there an American Garter Snake Association.....or is there one? It kills me how we've got these gorgeous creatures living right at our doorsteps, but they really don't seem to get the same respect as other native species, like Kingsnakes and Ratsnakes????!!!!???

"Preparing For First shed"

Re: Why isn't there a American Garter Snake Association?????

Hey Garterguy,

the European Garter Snake Association is open for Members from all over the world. So please feel free to join us

Please let me take your post for introducing the EGSA and especially the "The Garter Snake".

Dear Users,

I noticed that this forum is a meeting point of a great number of Thamnophis-enthusiasts from many different countries and so I'd like to take the chance and tell you about a project I'm working on:

I'm a member of the "European Garter Snake Association" (EGSA). Maybe some of you have already heard of this association before. If not, just take a look at our website (EGSA.de - European Garter Snake Association) .

Our association has about 100 members - mostly from Germany but also from other European countries (SWI, NL, AUS, DK, ITA, UK).

Every three months the EGSA publishes an A5 format, 60 pages magazine, filled with pictures and articles on garter snakes only written by our members and guest-writers. This magazine is called "The Garter Snake" and I'm the editor of it.

Until recently the magazine was only in German language, but I've been trying to add English summaries to each article and also publish articles in English as well. My goal is to reach Thamnophis-friends from all over the world and make possible an exchange of ideas about our animals and enable our readers to find like-minded people from other countries.

We are always looking for new authors with new ideas that are interested in publishing one or several articles in our magazine from time to time.

These articles do not have to be highly scientific - any text on experiences you have made with your animals, field herping observations, etc. are of great interest for the readers. The articles do not have to be in a certain form: you can either just type them in an email or send them as a word document without any special formatting - I'll do that for you. It'd be nice if you sent some pictures that go along with the article (of the snakes you are talking about or your cages or the habitat for example).

And of course you'll get a copy of the magazine in which your article is published.

If you are interested in participating, please send me an email and I'll let you know further details. If there are any questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

To get an idea of what our magazine looks like or what kind of articles have been published, please send me an email and I'll then send you an electronic version of one of the recently published magazines.

I'm looking forward to your answers!

Best wishes,
    Daniel
    webmaster of http://www.gartersnake.de
    member of the European Garter Snake Association (EGSA) http://www.egsa.de

Hi Daniel,
    What's an "A5 format" magazine?
    Rick

Hi Rick,

itīs half as big as a normal magazine, like the Reptilian.

Best wishes,

Daniel

I'm glad that you have plans to translate more articles into English. I've enjoyed the ones I've read and would really like to read more. They're very informative and well written. Best,
    Rick

Hey Rick,

how about writing some articles instead of just reading them

It would be of great help for me and my plans.

Think about it and perhaps you will find a nice story for the next issue of the "The Garter Snake".

Best wishes,

Daniel

It's possible. I've been researching more and more about thiaminase "poisoning" in hopes of writing an article for this forum, but it seems like there are so many thorough articles already written from credible sources that I would simply be "re-inventing the wheel." (I hope that saying makes sense to everyone). I might have to choose a different topic for your publication, though.
    Rick

I signed up to be a member of the EGSA a while back....nice site. Still waiting on a few pages to be translated. Would be nice to see an American Garter Snake Association!! A lot of the pet stores out here have a lousy opinion of the garters....one guy asked my why I would even want to breed them!!!! I knew the owner of the store and the guy got fired not long after that. The owner bought garters form me before and had been tired of this guy's baloney. He got hired at this store with no animal experience and after 6 months was telling the ower how to run his business...he didn't last long!!! I would be interested in going and AGSA if it was created!!!

Form one, and I'll join.

LOL!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Hi there!

I'm either in the EGSA and look forward to the next TGS. There are always interesting articles which you woudln't find anywhere else. The english part isn't as big as the german one. But every article is translated in english - as good as possible. I'm sure that it would be a great success if more people from english speaking countries would join the EGSA and write some articles for it. That would either matter that the english part would grow and the magazine would get more international. I think it would be better if you join the EGSA instead of arrange an AGSA. Otherwise there are 2 associations with their own topics and everyone who's really Thamnophis interested have to join both associations. I think, the exchange would be bigger if there's only one.

Cyrill