Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help sexing...

Hi, I'm New Here!

help sexing...

hi, i've read through the previous posts about sexing, and realise how hard it is to be 100%, but can any one make some suggestions about this snake?

thanks

Re: help sexing...

Very hard to see from that picture, but what do I know, I'm just a beginner. It would probably help a lot if the entire tail or even the entire animal was visible, since one of the signs is the relative length of the tail, as well as how it is shaped.

Hi, I'm New Here!

hey,

haha it was hard enough just to take a pic of the underside of its tail, dont' fink i'l be able to manage taking a pic of the whole underside

if i try and see if i can use some string or something to find the ratio will that help? its only a young snake.

I'm also quite bad at seeing the gender. But if you have an experienced person, you can let him 'pop'. It's quite an effective way to know the gender, but should be learned to you by an experienced person otherwise you might hurt the snake (as being told, I can't pop myself, it's on the to learn list).

Otherwise, wait till the snake is a bit older, than it become's more visible.

Or you can probe (I think that's what it's called). Also, I don't think you need a shot of the entire underside, just the top.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Hi Bob,
    Welcome to the forum. I think you're our first member from Ireland, so I really hope you like it here and hang around! There isn't much I could add that Stefan hasn't alread said. My first impression is that it's a male, but I'm not at all confident of that. It might help if you can put it on a glass table and take a picture from beneath. Also, the side view is helpful, but it's a tough call in those pictures, even though they're very clear.

well, looks like a male...a full shot of the tail would help or even the whole snake. Popping can only be done inthe first month after they are born. After that, the muscles are developing and you can cause damage. Probing is safer, but you gotta be careful doing that also. As they reach adult size, females are a lot stockier than males.

Hi, I'm New Here!

thanks for the welcome cazador

yeah, i've read/heard of all the poping/probing techniques, but would never have the guts to do them myself.

what made you think its a male?

what about stefan-a's suggestion about the relative length of the tail? has anyone noticed body-tail ratios being different on males and females?

cheers guys

Sure. Stefan's right. You can judge by the relative length of the tail, but it's most reliable when you're comparing two snakes of the same age or size. Otherwise, you have to rely on judgement and memory .

My initial impression that it might be a male was because I don't see a real dramatic change in the width/depth of the tail right before and after the vent. It seems pretty straight with only a little change. I'm also guessing that your snake is fairly young and small, like an adolescent, based on its diameter and the diameter of your fingers. Adolescents can also be tricky to judge, and like Don said, you can't pop them at that stage.
    Rick

Subadult snake

at the foto in the middle.... i think that's a male....